Ephesians 6:4 encourages us with this: "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." Another translation says, "do not provoke your children to anger". Seems like a no brainer doesn't it ? And yet I know in my adventures in parenting I've been guilty of doing just that. I think that's why I took the time to take these notes when I heard that radio interview. I hope these will be an encouragement to you too.
8 Ways to Exasperate Your Kids:
- Failing to allow them to be what they are.
- Treating them with harshness or cruelty.
- Ridiculing them in front of others. Especially in front of their peers. (Even when disguised as teasing or jesting.)
- Displaying favoritism and making unhealthy or unproductive comparisons.
- Failing to express our approval, even at seemingly small accomplishments.
- Being arbitrary in the exercise of discipline, so they don't know where they stand.
- Neglecting and making them feel like an intrusion in your life.
- Seeking to make them achieve our goals and aspirations.